Friday, August 28, 2020

Our Journey Begins!

I was twelve years old in July 1969.  Like most American kids, I was surrounded by the impetus of our nation's race into space.  And I was thrilled that mankind's journey to the Moon would happen in my lifetime!
I assembled a scrapbook.
And my (still) unironic self created a heroic splash page!

Besides the dozens of articles glued into its construction-paper pages, I have another couple of dozen newspaper clippings just TOO BIG to cut-and-paste into the scrapbook.  Most of my sources were the Examiner-Enterprise of Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and the Tulsa World.

We've also got some multi-page excerpts from newsmagazines like Time, Newsweek, and Life.

Not everything is limited to Apollo.  There'll be some considerations of space shuttles and other planets, too -- all as covered by the news outlets of the time.
With over 100 images to share, I promise to make one new post every Monday, until I run out!  (That's MOON-DAY for us Baby Boomers!)  These posts will not be made in chronological sequence.

Thanks to the immortality of the interwebs, folks a zillion Moon-Days from now will be able to appreciate the awe, the grandeur, and sometime silliness of America's dash to the Moon ... and a few steps beyond.

Like the human condition, there's human interest, science, and tomfoolery in these here images.  That's humanity for ya!

See you next Moon-Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment